Become a volunteer
Become a volunteer Reading Buddy and not only will you make a difference to one child’s life by providing vital literacy support, but you will also be helping to break the cycle of learning difficulties and disadvantage that affect so many children and families in our community.
Your mentoring, friendship and one-to-one care and attention will provide these children with the support that they would not otherwise receive.Read More
- Complete relevant Working With Children Checks that we will send to you
- Fill out a Volunteer Details Form that we will email to you
- Undertake a three hour training session with a Learning Links psychologist where you will learn how to work with a child with literacy issues and other learning difficulties
- Commit to being available to meet with your child buddy on a one-on-one basis at their school for 45 minutes each week for 15 weeks
- Attend the school for a one hour orientation session before starting
- Attend a feedback session and celebration party
- Participate in the evaluation of Reading for Life
- Have a desire to help permanently improve the educational future of a young boy or girl!
It is really important to the children and their improvement that volunteers are fully committed to the program. For children to improve their literacy skills and build a supportive relationship with their Reading Buddy, continuity with the same Reading Buddy is required. Volunteers must be available to attend at least 80% of the weekly sessions at the specified times.
Each volunteer is provided with a Volunteer Reading Buddy Manual that is 60 pages of helpful information about the program, tips on working with children and detailed session structures and questions.
Structure a of 45-minute session
Each session contains the following components:
- ✓ Highlights – Building a relationship
- ✓ Warm Up – Sight Words
- ✓ Stretching – Knowledge of Sounds
- ✓ Main Event – Reading
- ✓ Cool Down – Applying all Skills
- ✓ Celebrating Effort – Communication Book
What our Volunteers Say
“It was an absolutely fantastic opportunity and a great experience.”
“I’ve loved seeing how my encouragement has boosted the child’s knowledge and confidence.”
“It was a wonderful learning experience for me in terms of how to teach and how to make learning fun. It was very interesting to learn how to break information and concepts down into comprehensible and memorable pieces. In the process, I’ve learnt about myself too!”
“I’m glad our company supports a program like this that is practical and locally based.”
“I am glad that I work for an organisation that gives us time off to contribute to our community.”
“I really enjoyed being involved in the learning of my student. I learnt that you have to find the balance of challenging him, while ensuring they were enjoying their time also.”